Staff, pupils, parents and governors are celebrating after our school was judged ‘outstanding’ in all areas following its first Ofsted inspection since joining Star Academies. The inspection result represents a significant step forward for the school, which was judged as ‘requiring improvement’ in its last Ofsted inspection in 2014.
An Ofsted inspection team visited the school, which caters for pupils from the age of three to eleven, for two days in May. The inspection report published this week commends the school in all areas, including the ‘outstanding’ academic progress made by pupils and the school’s rich and varied curriculum. The report states that “the behaviour of pupils is outstanding” and that they “work hard and take pride in their work”, as well as benefitting from a broad range of personal development opportunities.
The report goes on to highlight the quality of teaching at the school, which it describes as “consistently strong throughout the school”, and the positive impact this has on pupils’ outcomes. Pupils’ attainment in reading, writing and mathematics also drew praise from the Ofsted inspectors who said that the pupils’ academic success was “because of the outstanding teaching, learning and assessment at the school and the positive learning attitudes of pupils.”
Particular praise was made of the effectiveness of the school’s leadership and management, including for its “inspirational principal” who “is relentless in her pursuit of excellence. Her passion for every pupil to have the very best care and education shines through and is at the core of all decisions made.” School governors were also lauded for their experience, knowledge and for sharing “the same passion and commitment seen from all who work at the school”.
Key findings of Ofsted’s report include:
- “Pupils both value and live up to teachers’ very high expectations for learning and behaviour. Pupils work hard and take pride in their work. Pupils enjoy learning and thrive in the calm and nurturing environment.”
- “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding…they listen attentively, concentrate fully and work productively with each other and with staff. Pupils are highly motivated to do the best that they can.”
- “The rich and varied curriculum is exceptionally well planned to develop pupils’ passion for learning. It leads to outstanding academic outcomes and ensures that pupils are extremely well prepared for secondary school.”
- “Teachers are highly skilled in supporting pupils to make very strong progress.”
- “Pupils make exceptional progress in reading and mathematics due to high-quality teaching that enables pupils to develop the skills and knowledge they need to read challenging texts and solve complex problems.”
- “Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is at the heart of this inclusive school. The school’s environment is rich and stimulating.”
- “Strong leadership of the early years provision and highly effective teaching ensure that children make excellent progress.”
- “Leadership of early years is outstanding. The leader ensures that staff in the Nursery and the Reception classes work closely together and are unrelenting in their pursuit of excellence.”
- “All pupils, including those with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND), disadvantaged pupils and those for whom English is an additional language, make strong, and often rapid, progress in a range of subjects.”
- “A successful track record of supporting pupils from vulnerable groups. As a consequence, pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds make accelerated progress as they move through the school.”
Ann Winter, Principal of Barkerend Primary Leadership Academy, said:
“I am delighted that our school has been recognised as ‘outstanding’ in all areas by Ofsted. It was thrilling to read how impressed the inspectors were regarding the quality of teaching, and the immense impact this has had on the development, outcomes and high aspirations of our children and the enjoyment they experience when attending school.”
“All members of the school community were praised so highly, from how well-mannered and behaved our pupils are, to the constant support we receive from the governors and Star Academies. It is very pleasing that the fantastic work of our staff has been recognised and that inspectors observed that staff care passionately about both the academic and personal development of all pupils. I am extremely proud that the vision for the school is being realised, which is ultimately changing the lives of our pupils for the better.”
Mufti Hamid Patel CBE, Chief Executive of Star Academies, commented:
“We couldn’t be prouder of the school’s ‘outstanding’ status. It is incredibly pleasing that Ofsted has recognised the hard work and dedication of staff, governors, pupils and parents at Barkerend Primary Leadership Academy. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to making the school such an exceptional learning and leadership environment.”